2020 Icon Painting Classes
Workshops at the studio for 2020 are currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. Online classes are offered on a rotating basis; you may use the private contact form at the bottom of the page to request more information.
Theology of the Work: The Second Council of Nicaea in the year 787 AD defined the icon as “the visual Word of God, the Gospel in line and color.” The Byzantine icon was the sacred art of the undivided Christian Church of the first millennium. Its purpose was to faithfully transmit the truths of the Christian Tradition to the faithful. Iconography, the art of painting the icons, was passed on from one iconographer to another through ages, following the canons (guidelines) set by the bishops of the Church. The tradition of the Byzantine icon was preserved and perpetuated in the eastern Orthodox Churches from the early centuries until the present day. The sacred art of the Roman Catholic Church in the west evolved through various artistic styles over the centuries: Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, etc. Today the churches of the West are rediscovering the beauty of the early Byzantine icons. Western sacred artists over the past decades have begun to study with Orthodox iconographers to reclaim the lost tradition of the oriental icon and to introduce it again into the western churches and the lives of western Christians.
The Instructor: Faye Drobnic began studying iconography in 1993 with master iconographer Philip Zimmerman at the St. John of Damascus Icon Studio at the Antiochian Village in Ligonier, PA. She continued her studies with other masters, including Charles Rohrbacher at the Mt. Angel Iconography Institute in Oregon, Canadian Heather MacKean at the North Florida Iconography Institute in Florida, Russian Ksenia Pokrovsky of Izograph Studio & Hexameron, and others. Her primary teachers over the years have been the teachers of the Prosopon School of Iconology, founded by Russian iconographer Vladislav Andrejev. She teaches the techniques of the Prosopon School at her home studio, an old World War II prisoner-of-war barracks building located in Lafayette, La.
Studio classes are currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. For your general information, here are the types of studio classes offered:
- GROUP CLASSES FOR BEGINNERS, 7-day sessions. Each day begins at 9am and ends when the task for the day is completed, usually about 3pm or 4pm. Cost of the class is $495, which includes 7 days of instruction, the use of all materials necessary to complete a 7”x9” icon, the icon board, instructional handouts, and a complete set of brushes.
- PIGMENTS & MIXING PAINT IN EGG TEMPERA: A specialized 2½ day class is offered in the basics of mixing paint for the various applications used in the Prosopon technique of icon painting, and an in-depth analysis of the properties of the various pigments. Students provide their own pigments. Exercises ar done on claybords and extensive handouts are provided. Cost is $250, with a non-refundable deposit of $50 required.
- FOR INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED STUDENTS: Group Classes are held on a regular basis once a month for 3 days (Thursday, Friday & Saturdays). Students work on individual projects of their choice, under supervision of the instructor. Students attend one, two or all three days. Classes are from 10am to 4pm with a one-hour break for lunch. Class size is limited to no more than 10 students. Cost is $50 per day.
- Individual private classes and semi-private classes (2 students) are available by appointment. Private classes are $150 per day or $30 per hour; semi-private classes are $100 per day per student.
Hotels are available nearby for out-of-town students, and there are many restaurants close by. However, transportation (a car) is required. This area is not pedestrian friendly; there is too much traffic.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Lafayette South (Kaliste Saloom)—337-456-6900
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, Lafayette Airport (Kaliste Saloom)—337-264-6044
- Comfort Suites, Rue Fernand (off Pinhook)—337-456-8390
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, Lafayette South (Pinhook)—337-233-555
For more information about workshops (or other questions) use the private contact form below.